I have been keeping a list on my phone of my pet peeves in life. I wasn’t sure if I should write a post about them as I try to keep my blog content positive and inspiring but then I saw a Pet Peeves blog post and I enjoyed it. I could relate to a lot of them, the post made me laugh, and didn’t bring me down in the least. And with the new year right around the corner, I don’t want to start off 2016 with a pet peeves blog post because we’re supposed to be renewed, joyous, excited, etc. at the start of a new year, right? So I’ll get it all out now before Christmas and New Years are upon us.
Ok, my pet peeves. Lots of things annoy me, I have to admit. I like things direct, to the point, on time, organized, purposeful, etc. It seems most of the population does not agree with me on these points, therefore lots of everyday annoyances occur.
Travel Pet Peeves
- Airplanes! Ugh. I hate flying.
- It takes forever to board the airplane – why not board back to front? I’ve never understood this.
- The majority of people bring on too large of bags that won’t fit in the overhead compartment, yet they still try!
- Women bring bags that are too heavy and they can’t lift into the overhead compartment so they look around for someone to help them. Check your bag if you physically can’t lift it!
- It takes even LONGER to get everyone off the plane than it did to get on. Le sigh.
- Germs. Ick!
- Road Rage! Now that I live in Minneapolis and work downtown, road rage is at its peak some days. Bicyclists weaving all over the place, pedestrians crossing when and wherever they feel like, buses stopping at every corner and blocking traffic, no left turn lanes so again more blocking of traffic. Ugh!
- Slow Walkers. I’m talking about people walking in general, not out for exercise. Even when I’m not in a hurry or have nowhere to be I just like to walk with purpose and get to where I’m going, you know?
- Having to break my cruise control. It drives me crazy. Can’t there be a rule: “everyone set your cruise control to ___ speed” and then we all just happily cruise along?
- When people STAND on the moving WALK at airports. Are you really that lazy?!?
Running Pet Peeves
- When people walk 3 (or more) abreast and don’t move over when they see you.
- When you come upon someone who is running just slightly faster than you and you’re awkwardly behind them trying to decide if you have it in you to pass and maintain new speed or if you should slow/walk to gain some distance.
- When people let their kids and/or pets get in your way and they think it’s fun/funny – “aren’t they adorable?” No, not when I’m running, they are not!
- When you are out for a run (obviously not carrying a purse of any kind) and someone chases you down to ask if you want to come look at what they’re selling. (Yes, this has happened to me).
- When you almost get hit by a bicyclist or vehicle and they act like it’s your fault you were in the way when they were trying to run a red light, turn illegally, etc.
Photography Pet Peeves
- Aperture, F-stop, Shutter Speed, ISO… argh!
- F-stop 1.4 means the lens opens wider (lets in more light) than F-stop 16. But a lower ISO lets in less light. Why do they make things so hard.
At Home Pet Peeves
- Top sheets on a bed. Ugh! In my experience, they just get tangled up and lost in the comforter until I get frustrated and remove it from the equation completely.
- Trash truck comes bright and early and parks right outside my bedroom window. (Have I mentioned I love sleep?).
- No exhaust fans in bathrooms. This seems to be more common lately and I’m not sure why. My apartment building is old so it makes sense there isn’t one (although still annoying) but even when I stayed at a hotel a little while back there was no exhaust fan. Can’t… breathe…!
Other Random Pet Peeves
- Toilet seat left up at work.
- Inefficiency. I am a firm believer in working smarter, not longer! I also prefer brief, direct answers/explanations to questions. A lot of people go on and on when I think a one sentence answer would’ve sufficed. I probably tend to error in the other direction of being too brief and it sometimes comes off as uninterested, rude, etc. Le sigh.
- Forgetting things! From the time I’m in the shower (where I do lots of good thinking, obviously) to the time I get to my phone or notepad, I’ve already forgotten what I was going to write down. So frustrating. No, I don’t believe “if you can’t remember, it mustn’t have been important”.
- When people run late. I understand things happen but it seems most people these days don’t care if they keep you waiting. I HATE WAITING. Patience is not one of my virtues.
- Smartphones. (As I wrote this pet peeves list on my iPhone 6). Let me explain… I love my smartphone! It’s great for taking notes (to do lists), killing time, staying connected, etc. But I try to be very mindful of my iPhone usage when I am with others. I understand things are “urgent” but if I’m out with friends or traveling with family, I would like to actually enjoy spending time with them. If I wanted to sit isolated on my phone, I would’ve stayed home!
Well, I feel better now!
To end on a positive note, we had a cookie exchange at work and I got lots of good cookies!
And I have been slowly getting back into running and was able to run 3.1 miles yesterday! Even though it was cold, it felt great to get some fresh air, and the cold weather means less people were out on the trail so that was kind of nice.
What are your pet peeves?
Do you prefer running in hot or cold temps?